Skip to Main Content

Music Research

Resources and research information for music students and faculty.

Frequently Asked Questions

Ingram Library

FAQs for undergraduate music students

How do I start my research?

The library and our databases provide the reliable, scholarly information you need (unlike a general Google search). Whether on or off campus, start with the library's homepage at  You can search the catalog or other databases from that page.  If you're at a student-use computer in the library, you're automatically authenticated when you log on to our databases.  If you are off campus, log on to the GALILEO databases with your UWG username and password.  

On the library’s homepage, you may enter a search directly in the box on that page, which will allow you to search multiple databases at once, or you may tailor your search more specifically to your needs by clicking on other links, like Catalog, or Databases & GALILEO, and take advantage of the increased functionality.

How do I find journal articles?

Go to the library's homepage, then under “Our Resources,” click on the "Databases & GALILEO" link.  The next page is the databases homepage.  Choose a database and enter keywords for your topic.  The article citations that you retrieve may display the full text of the article as HTML or PDF.  If there is not a full text option, click on the "Find It @ UWG" button and the computer may suggest which databases have it; choose one by clicking on the GO button.  Do email an article (and its citation in the reference style you need) to yourself or save it on your flash drive, so you have the information later for your paper and bibliography.

How do I print articles?

We now use Wepa printers; Wolfbucks are no longer used on campus.  Print from a library desktop, plug a flash drive directly into the printer, or access your Google drive or Microsoft account directly on the printer.  Costs vary for the type of printing selected.  Library printers offer: one-sided, two-sided, color, or black and white.  You may pay with Wolfbucks remaining on your account or directly with a credit or debit card. 

How do I find books?

From the library’s homepage, under “Our Resources,” click on the Catalog link and enter your search terms.  Use the drop down box to search the USG Universal Catalog for books at the many University System of Georgia (USG) libraries.  To search for resources all over the world, use the WorldCat database, which can be found through the W tab of the databases homepage, or at

Where are the music books?

Ground floor for M (scores), ML (music literature), and MT (music theory).  You can request that books be pulled for you; see info about that under the Borrowing link on the homepage.  The advantage to browsing the stacks yourself is that you may find additional—or even better—resources that serve your purpose.

How long can I have an item checked out?

Undergraduates: books, 28 days; CDs, 28 days; most DVDs, 7 days (but some are 28 days).  Graduate students can check out an item until the end of the current academic term; most DVDs are 7 days.  Faculty can check out an item until the end of the current academic year.

Where are the other music materials?

DVDs (such as opera performances in the call number area M1500) are shelved on the first floor.  Music CDs are stored separately near the books on the ground floor, just past the MT shelves.  

Where can I listen to recordings?

You can check out recordings and listen on your own equipment.  You can also use a library computer to listen to a CD.  Headphones are available at the Circulation Desk.

If the material I need is not in Ingram Library, how do I get it?

Use GIL Express or Interlibrary Loan from our Resource Sharing department.  On the library’s homepage, under “Our Services,” click on the Borrowing link.

What's the difference between GIL Express and Interlibrary Loan?

Use GIL Express to request a book that is at another University System of Georgia (USG) library.  Use Interlibrary Loan to request anything else that isn’t available within the USG—books, scores, recordings, videos, journal articles—and our staff will try to borrow it for you.  There generally is no charge for GIL Express or Interlibrary Loan, although certain overdue fines may apply.  When you request materials from other libraries, you'll be kept informed as to the status of your request.  As it takes time to get these, please keep this in mind as you work on research papers; if you wait to get started until just before your paper is due, you may not have the resources you need to do your paper.

How do I use GIL Express?

Use the USG Universal Catalog to search for a book within the USG system.  When you see a title you want that is not owned by UWG, you will sign in, see the availability, then click on the Request link.  Fill in the short form, selecting the pickup location; it doesn’t have to be UWG!  Then click on the Request button.  Give it a moment to work and for the page to refresh.  It usually takes 4-7 business days (they don't run on weekends) for the book to arrive at Ingram Library.  Be sure to renew these books before they're due, or you can't renew them at all.

How do I use Interlibrary Loan?

Whether you’re taking face to face or online classes, to borrow resources from other libraries you will need to create a free online account through ILLiad, then use it to make a request.  For more information, see the Borrowing link on the homepage.  Allow two weeks for a book, and usually less for articles. 

Are there group study rooms?

Yes, there are 10 available rooms.  Show at least two student IDs at the Circulation Desk to get a room key. 

Who do I ask if I need help?

If you’re in the library, ask for quick help during business hours at the reference desks staffed by trained students on the main floor (or at 678-839-6495).  Ask for help at the Circulation Desk (or at 678-839-6502) about issues regarding your account, GIL Express, and Interlibrary Loan.

On the library’s homepage, click on the Start Live Chat link.  A library professional at UWG, if available, will help with your research question.  After UWG service hours, a librarian at another academic institution will answer it, 24/7/365.

Shelley Rogers, a music librarian, is at 

The citation reference styles most commonly used by musicians are APA and Chicago.  The Purdue Owl website has a great deal of information on this topic; scroll down to the "Research and Citation" section to find many helpful links for how to cite various types of sources in these styles.  Please double check with your professor to make sure your bibliography is done correctly.  The University Writing Center ( is also happy to help you with citation advice.  They are in Boyd 205, phone: 678-839-6513; email:

Rev. 9/23