Tenure-Track Instructional Services Librarian Position
The University of West Georgia's Ingram Library is seeking applicants from diverse backgrounds for the position of Instructional Services Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Instructional Services, this person will contribute to the campus-wide focus on teaching and learning. Instructional Services Librarians are committed to developing practices informed by learning theory and pedagogy.
The successful candidate will teach sections of the library's credit bearing information literacy course, an elective in the university's core curriculum, on a regular basis. In addition, librarians serve as liaisons to academic departments, a role that includes providing course-integrated instruction and collection management. Librarians also provide general reference assistance to the campus at large.
This position will serve as liaison to the Richards College of Business, which includes the Departments of Accounting and Finance, Economics, Management, and Marketing and Real Estate. Candidates with experience in this area, as well as those willing to develop expertise in this area, are encouraged to apply. This college offers both face-to-face and online-only programs. Occasional travel to satellite campus locations may be required to provide course-integrated instruction.
As tenure-track faculty members, Instructional Services Librarians engage in research, publication, and service. Financial support for professional development is available and mentoring is offered to pre-tenure Instructional Services Librarians. Faculty librarians serve on University Faculty Senate committees and have opportunities to participate in other university initiatives.
Any combination of professional experience, volunteer work, coursework, and other transferable skills may be applied toward the required and desired qualifications listed below. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant to this position.
- Master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or ALA-recognized equivalent
- Teaching experience
- Experience creating engaging learning opportunities for student, faculty, or community audiences.
- Experience working cooperatively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Professional and pedagogical commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Evidence of ability to engage in research, presentation/publication, and service as outlined in the University's guidelines for promotion and tenure; examples include prior presentations/publications, prior research experience, or a clear articulation of a research agenda you would pursue if hired
- Conversant in trends in teaching and learning, including, but not limited to the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy
- Availability to work occasional evening and/or weekend hours
- 2+ years relevant experience, which may consist of academic library experience and/or experience in other teaching or research positions
- Subject expertise in business or related area [e.g. finance, economics, marketing, etc]
- Strong desire to explore pedagogical approaches and learning theories that can enrich teaching practice
- Familiarity with assessment methods and standards
- Experience independently pursuing, managing, and completing projects
- Conversant in trends in information literacy
About the library & university
The successful candidate will join 8 other librarians in the Instructional Services department of Ingram Library, which currently has a total of 18 faculty librarians. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. We welcome applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment.
The University of West Georgia (UWG) is located in Carrollton, GA, a community approximately one hour west of Atlanta. UWG is a regional comprehensive university with steadily increasing enrollment, currently around 13,000 students, on a beautiful 645 acre campus.
As employees of the University System of Georgia, UWG librarians enjoy free tuition for most degrees (through doctoral level) at all University System of Georgia schools. Librarians earn 14 hours of annual leave per month, 8 hours of sick time per month, and twelve assigned paid holidays per year. Seehttp://www.westga.edu/hrpay for other benefits information.
Official UWG Diversity Statement
When you "Go West," you become part of a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion, recognizing the valuable contributions of each of our faculty, staff, and students. Our individual differences lend us a collective strength that also serves as an expression of our values and beliefs. We value every member of our community not in spite of but because of our differences in age, color, creed, education, ethnicity, gender expression, national origin, physical and cognitive ability, race, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, and veteran status.
Rank and Salary
This is a 12-month tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank, available January 2, 2017. Salary is $62,460.
To apply please submit:
- a cover letter that specifically addresses the qualifications for this position
- curriculum vitae
- unofficial transcripts
- contact information for 3 references
- a statement of your philosophy of teaching (up to 750 words), specifically addressing how it relates to teaching a diverse student population
Review of applications will begin October 17. Position is open until filled.
Persons who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the application process should contact Alicia Hargraves, the Human Resources Business Partner for Academic Affairs, at 678-839-5194.
The University of West Georgia is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Institution. Official transcripts are requirements for employment by the University of West Georgia. Please be advised that should you be recommended for a position, University System of Georgia Board of Regents policy requires the completion of a background check as a prior condition of employment.